Fitzbillies then...

Fitzbillies was founded in 1921 by Ernest and Arthur Mason, using their ‘demob’ money from the First World War. Their initials are still visible in worn-out gold letters on the original art nouveau shop front in Trumpington St. It started life as cake shop, with the bakery behind it, selling a wide range of fancy cakes and of course the famous Chelsea Buns.

Fitzbillies now...

Some things remain the same: we still bake our Chelsea Buns and cakes, by hand in the onsite bakery, many to the original recipes.  Others have changed: the business has grown and in addition to the cake shop, in Trumpington St there is now a café/restaurant serving breakfast, brunch, lunch and afternoon tea and a take-away coffee shop.  And there's a second branch in Bridge St, selling coffee, cakes, sandwiches and salads from the counter.

But it could easily have been a different story. In February 2011 Fitzbillies went bankrupt and closed for six months. It was rescued from bankruptcy by husband and wife team: FT and Radio 4 food writer Tim Hayward and Alison Wright, who brought the business back to life and continue to run it today. It is their love of good food, baking and coffee that shapes the business, along with hard work and dedication of an ever expanding family of bakers, chefs, baristas and waiters.   

Come and visit throughout the day, from early morning coffee, through brunch, lunch and afternoon tea.